- This event has passed.
Zoom Author Talk: Sofie Laguna in conversation
September 29 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pmFree
Sofie’s most recent adult novel, Infinite Splendours, explores dark, confronting subject matter but in Sofie’s masterful hands, it’s a story that is also transformative, with light, joy and redemption that makes it hard to forget.
Infinite Splendours is extraordinary – incandescent with love and compassion, rich in colour and character – with the power to shatter your heart into a million pieces.
- Place Sofie’s titles on hold with your Myli membership.
About the author –
Sofie Laguna originally studied to be a lawyer, but after deciding law was not for her, she moved to Melbourne to train as an actor. Sofie worked for many years as an actor before she began to write – both for children and adults.
Sofie’s second novel for adults, ‘The Eye of the Sheep’ – shortlisted for the Stella Prize – won the 2015 Miles Franklin Award. It has been optioned for both film and theatre. Sofie’s first novel for adults, ‘One Foot Wrong’, published throughout Europe, the US and the UK, was longlisted for the Miles Franklin Award and shortlisted for the Prime Minister’s Literary Award. Screen rights have been optioned and Sofie has completed the screenplay.
Sofie’s many books for young people have been published in the US, the UK and in translation throughout Europe and Asia. She has been shortlisted for the Queensland Premier’s Award, and her books have been named Honour Books and Notable Books by the Children’s Book Council of Australia.Sofie has released her fourth novel for adults, Infinite Splendours, to critical acclaim. and her first children’s novel in ten years, The Song of Lewis Carmichael.
Sofie lives in Melbourne with her husband, illustrator Marc McBride, and their two young sons.
About the host –
Claire Halliday is a freelance writer whose work has appeared regularly in Australian newspapers and magazines for over a decade. She lives in Melbourne with her partner and four children. Claire hosts regular In Conversation events for libraries, bookshops and organisations, and her insightful questions always make for an enjoyable evening.
Event information –
IMPORTANT: This session will be run using Zoom. An event link will be emailed 24 hours before the session. If you do not receive the link before the session, please check your SPAM folder or contact your local library during business hours
- If this is your first Zoom session, joining in is straightforward! We’ll send a Zoom link to your registered email address before the event. Simply click on it and our librarian will admit you in to the session.
- You will need a reliable WiFi connection and a computer/laptop or tablet/iPad
- If you are using a laptop you don’t need to install anything to access Zoom as you can access it in your web browser by following the link which will be emailed to you.
- If you are accessing the event from a mobile or tablet you will need to download the Zoom application beforehand via your Google Play or Apple App store
- A phone number is required when booking a ticket for this session. This is in case we need to contact you regarding any changes to the session and may be used to confirm your attendance closer to the date.
- You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions via the Chat function on Zoom.
- We ask that you mute your microphone when entering the session to avoid background noise during the event.
- September 29
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- Author Talks & Book Chat, Adult events
- Myli – My Community Library
- View Organizer Website