In honour of National Volunteer Week 2022 (16-22 May), we would like to celebrate and acknowledge the amazing library volunteers who generously share their time, skills and knowledge with our community.
Volunteer Roles at Myli
We currently have 30 active volunteers who support and work with our team members through a variety of roles:
- The Community Advisory Committee – the CAC represent and advocate for Myli and the local community.
- In-branch Support – our volunteers work alongside our in-branch staff to provide assistance during programs and events and with tasks in the library branches.
- Home Library Service – HLS volunteers deliver selected materials to members of our community who may not be able to visit their local branch. This is a new service at Myli, and our new volunteers have been terrific in testing out our processes and procedures. We are very grateful for their enthusiasm and support. We have volunteers in Inverloch, San Remo and Phillip Island, and the service will begin soon in Foster. We are currently recruiting for volunteers in the Warragul and Drouin areas (see below for more information).
- Friends of the Library groups – Our Friends groups play an active and significant role in raising funds for our libraries. They also provide invaluable assistance with very popular events/programs within their local areas.
- Toora Community Hall Committee volunteers – The committee members at Toora Community Hall assist community members with Click and Collect services and facilitate book exchange services and items that can be borrowed via the Mechanics Institute Collection. Visit their website for more information.
Pictured: 1. Jan, a branch support volunteer, with Wonthaggi branch manager Jon, and Manager of Volunteers & Community Participation, Kathie. 2. Home Library Support volunteer, Margaret. 3. Volunteers at the Toora Community Library.
Manager of Volunteers and Community Participation
Another huge thank you goes to Myli’s Manager of Volunteer and Community Participation, Kathie! Kathie manages all aspects of volunteer roles, including conducting informal interviews with potential volunteers and managing volunteer inductions. She works closely with our Friends groups and the CAC, and welcomes and supports work experience and placement students.
Volunteering at Myli
At Myli – My Community Library, we are committed to building a positive volunteer culture across our organisation. We look forward to working in partnership with our volunteers and our Library staff team to achieve common goals. Volunteers work alongside our paid employees in complementary roles, and help us extend our reach and support our communities.
Our volunteer involvement includes:
- Full recruitment, induction and training
- A clear role description
- A Volunteer Agreement process Support and supervision Relationship building with our Staff team members
- Recognition and Celebration of your volunteering journey with us!
Learn more about volunteer roles at Myli here.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
We are currently actively seeking Home Library Service volunteers in the Drouin and Warragul areas. We are very keen to enable people to retain independent reading choices and maintain their relationship with their library while at home. Volunteers and Home Library Service recipients often develop a great relationship based on a mutual love of reading. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Kathie on the details below.
Keen to register, or find out more about this service?
Please contact: Kathie, Manager of Volunteers & Community Participation
Phone: 1800 446 954 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your local library team members will also be able to assist you.