How will you science during National Science Week?
National Science Week is Australia’s annual celebration of science and technology. Established in 1997, over one million people participate in science events at schools, libraries, museums and science centres across the nation. In 2020, National Science Week was held differently, with travel restrictions and physical distancing requirements in place to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. Our programming officer Karen created a fantastic video about oobleck – a non-Newtonian fluid that just won’t behave! You can watch it here.
What’s happening in 2021?
We are hosting a range of events at our branches across West and South Gippsland, including a live-streamed trivia quiz that is suitable for everyone to attend. Registration is free for all events, and bookings are required. If you can’t come along to our in-branch events, you can always join in the Science Week fun at home with one of our Young Einsteins Online videos. Let’s take a look at how we will science during #ScienceWeek.
Creators Club – Slime Time at Mirboo North Library: Thursday 19th August 3.30pm
The Creators Club is a brand new, free monthly club just for kids. Suitable for Grades 4,5 and 6 who will enjoy getting hands-on with different creative activities. This month to celebrate Science Week, it’s Slime Time!
Body Science at Wonthaggi Library: Thursday 19th August 4pm
Come to Wonthaggi Library for a look at the weird and wonderful things our bodies can do! There’ll be snot science, taste science, and human body science.
National Science Week Quiz at Leongatha Library: Thursday 19th 6pm
Hosted by Charlie Pickering, of ABC’s The Weekly, the National Science Quiz brings together six of Australia’s best scientists & science communicators. We’ll be streaming the quiz in our Leongatha Library so bring your family, bring your friends or come alone for a fun event.
Additional Information –
- All participants attending events require a ticket, including adults and children.
- Events may be cancelled or if possible, moved to an online format at short notice to comply with current Government restrictions. West Gippsland Libraries will notify attendees via email of any changes made to events.
- On arrival at West Gippsland Libraries, please check in via the Services Victoria QR code. If you cannot check in, please see our staff for assistance.
- Please follow Government regulations regarding mask-wearing unless you have a lawful reason not to do so.
- Please maintain social distance and follow directional signage.
- If you feel unwell, please stay home, and contact the branch to cancel your ticket/s.
- West Gippsland Libraries may photograph and/or film events. Your image may be reproduced by West Gippsland Libraries in publications and/or promotional materials (including online publications), on its website and/or on social media. If you do not wish to be photographed and/or filmed, please advise the organiser at the event’s start.